Sunday, July 22, 2012

Quotes from "Embracing the Beloved"

There are so many good quotes in there, I think I'll start writing them here. I just posted this first one on my facebook, but then immediately ran across another, so here goes with a nice list:

"Nothing is worth the separation or guarding of hearts . . . the commitment to wholeness elevates relationship to mystical heights. When we expand from loving another being to the beingness of love, alternatives for healing and insight arise. The healing become immense. Hope turns to confidence. Fear to fearless mindfulness. And joy, so absent in even some of the most remarkable beings, becomes a common condition. The heart opens beyond the grieving mind. The lotus rises from dark waters." (61, 63) "Nothing is worth keeping the heart closed for even a moment longer . . . holding even to the slightest separation, even to a single thought, even to being "right," can create an abyss which our faithfulness fears to leap" (92).
"The heart, steady as the Buddha under the Bo tree, whispers "If I die of loneliness, so be it. I will continue this investigation until the heart sees clearly" (68). I probably like this one because in a sense, it's what I did. No matter how much they hurt me, I refuse to shut down my heart. I am done suffering (suffering, but not experiencing pain, as that will never end until I cease breathing). I would rather be alone than be with someone and feel alone. And other sentiments that helped get me where I am from there.
 "It is the time that we spend alone with the Beloved that makes us the partner our partner has always been looking for" (69).
"A conscious committed relationship is the bonding of two "whole" human beings attempting to be mercifully human together" (83).
"In "worldly" triangulation we look to the marriage counselor, minister or mentor. In "spiritual" triangulation the two turn toward the One. The context is no longer "How do I get mine?" but rather, "How can we become together all that we might be?" (91).
"...what leaves the "negative residue" is not the thought, no matter how dark or fearful, but the negative reaction (holding), as opposed to the healing response (letting go), to that moment. That a "positive" thought grasped is less healing than a "negative" one met with mercy. Allowed to dissolve into the golden flow of consciousness. Our thoughts so small, our resistance so enormous" (106).  . . . no longer posturing like Saint George at the dragon's throat, we remove our armor and pet the big lizard's belly" (107).
"Enlightenment does not perfect the personality, only the point of view" (107).
"The arms of the mother are always around you, all you need do is put your head on her shoulder" (113). 

No comments: